John MacGregor is a graduate of the University of Glasgow and the University of Oxford. Since calling to the Bar, he has specialised in public and commercial law. He has been a Standing Junior Counsel to the United Kingdom Government since 2009 and in 2015 he was appointed to the Equality and Human Rights Commission's panel of preferred counsel in Scotland.
He has been instructed in a wide range of commercial litigation, including disputes relating to commercial contracts, shareholder agreements, commercial leases, professional negligence and product liability.
John has a strong interest in public law and has been instructed in relation to a variety of judicial review, public procurement, proceeds of crime and freedom of information cases.
- Hepburn v Royal Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust & Others  CSIH 71
- Scottish Ministers v Smith  CSOH 167; 
- Sidey Limited v Clackmannanshire Council and Pyramid Joinery & Construction Limited  CSOH 166;  CSIH 44
- Common Services Agency v Scottish Information Commissioner 1 WLR 1550
- Raza v Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission 2007 SCCR 403