Paul practiced as a solicitor in Glasgow for several years as a commercial litigator before calling to the Bar in 2004. He has a broad practice primarily based around commercial and intellectual property law. Matters in which he has acted include contract disputes, trademark and patent litigation, restrictive covenants, professional negligence claims, warranties in the sale of businesses, and judicial reviews in areas including agricultural subsidies, fishing quotas and medical profession "alert letters".
He appears regularly in the commercial and ordinary courts, and has appeared in the Inner House both alone and with senior counsel, and in the Supreme Court on several occasions.
- SSE Generation Ltd v Hochtief Solutions AG
- Clark v TripAdvisor LLC  CSIH 110, 2015 SLT 59
- David T Morrison & Co Ltd v ICL Plastics Ltd  UKSC 48, 2014 SLT 791
- Winding Up Board of Landsbanki Islands HF v Mills  UKSC 13, 2013 SC (UKSC) 201,  1 WLR 725
- Farstad Supply AS v Enviroco Ltd  UKSC 18,  Bus LR 1087,  2 Lloyd's Rep 387, 2010 SCLR 379 (contribution),  CSIH 9, 2013 SC 302 (interest)